We are very excited to announce that Gitora 5 is now available for download.
Gitora 5 is a huge step forward for version management of database objects.
Gitora 5 has many new features. Below are just six of our favorites:
- A Brand New User Interface and Application
- One Gitora Installation to Manage Any Number of Databases
- Gitora Now Manages Tables
- No-login development experience
- A Comprehensive Developer Privileges Management Module
- Full API To Completely Automate Your Workflow
Let’s go over these new features briefly:
A Brand New User Interface and Application
We redesigned every screen in Gitora from the ground up. The new design gives Gitora 5 a beautiful modern look with large components, easy to read, fresh colors and updated icons.
We also rebuilt the application with Java. This reduced Gitora’s database footprint by more than 95% making it much easier to install and manage.
One Gitora Installation to Manage Any Number of Databases
This was probably one of the most requested features. Previously, if you wanted to manage a database with Gitora, you needed a new Gitora installation. This is no longer the case.
Thanks to Gitora 5’s new architecture, users can now manage any number of databases with Gitora 5 from a single application.
This makes moving code and switching between databases much easier. Maintenance and upgrade tasks are also much simpler because there is only one application to manage.
Moreover, we made installing Gitora much easier. No more running hundreds of database scripts or changing database settings. Once you create a database user for Gitora, the application will automatically install its database objects.
Gitora Now Manages Tables
Tables are now first class citizens in Gitora. You can manage every table’s DDL in Git repos along with its constraints and indexes, in its own file with its complete history, automatically.
No-login Development Experience
Previously, signing in to Gitora required an extra step for database developers. Every time they opened a database session, they had to execute one line of code to sign in to Gitora. Gitora 5 can be configured to recognize selected database users as valid Gitora users. This way, Gitora 5 becomes completely transparent during regular development activities.
A Comprehensive Developer Privileges Management Module
Gitora 5 Enterprise comes with a sophisticated authorization module with which you can manage who can edit which database object and perform which Git operation. You can define privileges for actions such as check out, commit, pull, push etc… at database level and at repo level. You can even restrict access to certain objects to specific developers.
Full API To Completely Automate Your Workflow
Last but not least, Gitora 5 Enterprise comes with a set of API’s so that you can fully automate your workflow. The API’s are easy to use and support the restrictions you specify in the authorization module.
These are our top six features but there are many more. Here is just a few of them:
- A new and improved diff screen
- A new way to track every DDL you execute in the database
- Table DDL generation that is master-detail relationship aware
- Support for sequences, materialized views
Gitora 5 comes with the features you are already familiar with:
- Create Git repos with any of your database code objects such as Packages, Views, Types, Triggers etc…
- Gitora doesn’t miss a change. Capture every change in these objects automatically and commit them to Git with a single click.
- Perform Git operations such as reset, branch, merge, pull etc.. These operations will update your database objects automatically.
- Push your repos to any cloud service such as GitHub, GitLab etc…
Gitora 5 is by far our biggest and most important release since releasing the first version of Gitora in 2015. Gitora 5 is an indispensable tool to improve developer productivity, implement modern development workflows and cut delivery times significantly.